Who doesn’t want a blemish- free and flawless skin, but stubborn acne scars can give you a really tough time. Acne is observed as one of the most common problems among people of all ages, especially women and teenagers. Hormonal imbalances occurring in the body can often lead to acne problems. Due to hormonal problems glands tend to produce more oil than normal that clogs the skin pores thus allowing bacteria to grow. Dealing with acne breakouts is a difficult thing, but fighting with the ugly leftover scars is even worse. These stubborn scars don’t go away easily and are quite embarrassing, which affects your confidence to a large extent. However, here are some easy home remedies that can help you get rid of acne scars easily.
How is Acne Formed?
Acne problems are generally found in the neck area, face, back, chest and shoulders. This is because more oil glands are present on the skin of these areas. These oil glands tend to secrete an oily substance called sebum that lubricates the skin to make your skin look glowing. As a result of hormonal changes, the body tends to excrete excess amount of sebum and dead skin cells that clog the hair follicles and form a soft plug which acts as a favorable environment for the bacteria to thrive. When the blocked hair follicles get infected, it can result in inflammation and acne breakouts.
Common Causes of Acne Scars
Acne is a common problem among people of all ages. So, here are some of the causes that can lead to acne breakouts:
- Food: Some food items contain excess oil, preservatives, chemicals and other substances that might often result in acne breakouts. Eating oily food items and nuts can be a major reason for acne breakouts.
- Hormones: Change in the level of estrogens (female hormones) and androgens (male hormones) can often result in acne problems. These hormones tend to increase the production of sebum (oil) and enlarge the sebaceous glands present in the skin. Teenagers and women suffering from their menstrual period are more likely to develop acne.
- Bacteria: Propionibacterium acnes are the bacteria that remain on the skin leads to acne breakouts. When the enzyme produced by the bacteria gets dissolved in the oil secreted by the oil glands present in the skin, it can result in redness, inflammation, and irritation of the skin.
- Stress: Stress can also be seen as a major factor in acne breakouts. Stress can often lead to acne problems therefore, it’s better to stay away from stress, take proper diet and rest.
- Dirt: Dust and pollution can block the pores of the skin which can lead to acne breakouts. People with oily skin are prone to acne as dust and dirt tend to stay on the skin and block the pores of the skin, thus leading to white and blackheads. Once the pores of the skin are blocked it can result in inflammation and acne breakouts.
Top 8 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Acne Scars
Acne scars can be quite annoying and you might look out for ways to get rid of them. Opting for expensive creams, moisturizers, and chemical treatments can prove out to be quite expensive. So, here we are with some natural and cost-effective home remedies that will serve your purpose without affecting your pocket much.
Fresh aloe vera gel is a rich source of vitamins that can easily heal the skin and fade away the scars. It is considered to be natural scar removing ingredient because of its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. In addition, aloe vera gel is a natural moisturizer that will make your skin soft, healthy and glowing.
How to use?
- Take an aloe- vera leaf, cut it and scoop out the gel from the leaf. Now, apply the gel on the scars and gently massage it using circular motions.
- Leave the gel on for about 30 minutes and rinse it using lukewarm water. Do this regularly for at least 2 or 3 times a day.
- You can also use a mixture of tea tree oil and aloe vera gel alternatively. Take one tablespoon of aloe vera gel and 2-3 drops of tea tree oil, mix it and apply directly onto the scars.
- Allow it to sit on your skin for 10-15 minutes and then rinse it off. Do this once daily.
Lemon juice contains natural alpha-hydroxy (AHA) acid that can help in healing and revitalize the skin. It also acts as natural bleach which can help in lightening your scars. Lemon juice helps in removing the dead skin cells and thus promotes the growth of new skin cells. It also increases the elasticity of the skin.
How to use?
- Take a piece of lemon and squeeze the juice into a bowl. You apply this juice directly onto the affected area using your fingertips or a cotton ball. Let it dry for 10-15 minutes and then rinse it off. Do this daily for at least 1-2 times a day.
- Alternatively, you can use lemon juice mixed with honey and apply the mixture onto the scars. Leave it for 15 minutes and wash it off. Do this once every day.
- Another ingredient that you can use with lemon juice is vitamin E oil. Apply this mixture on your scars overnight and wash it off the next morning. Do this once daily.
Baking soda is commonly used household item that comes with numerous benefits, including the ability to heal and fade scars. Baking soda comprises of sodium bicarbonate crystals that can be used as a cleansing scrub to exfoliate your skin gently.
How to use?
- Take 2 teaspoons of baking soda in a bowl and pour a few drops of water in it to make a thin paste.
- Now, apply the mixture on your acne scars, leave it on for 2-3 minutes and wash it off.
- Repeat this process once on a daily basis for several weeks in order to fade your acne scars.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains acidic properties which act as a good toner and helps to lighten the pigmentation in the skin thereby reducing the appearance of acne scars. It also stimulates blood flow that helps in repairing the skin cells and removes the dead skin cells.
How to use?
- Mix equal proportions of water and apple cider vinegar. Now take a cotton ball and dip it into the mixture and apply to the affected area directly.
- You can also use honey in the mixture alternatively. Take 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, half cup of water and 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Use a cotton ball and apply the above mixture on your acne scars, leave it on for at least 10-15 minutes and then wash it off.
Coconut oil is a good source of fatty acids and Vitamin E that helps to repair the skin tissues and moisturizes the skin. It also keeps your skin healthy and helps in removal of scars and marks.
How to use?
- Take few drops of virgin coconut oil on your palm, rub it on your palms to make it warm and then apply it on your acne scars, gently massage the affected area for 5-10 minutes and leave it on your skin overnight.
- Another good option is to mix coconut oil with few drops of lavender oil and use it on the acne scars to lighten them. Gently massage the affected area for few minutes and leave it on. Do this daily for several weeks to see the results.
Cucumber is a widely used natural ingredient for facial treatments. Cucumber is a super hydrating natural ingredient that contains magnesium, Vitamin C, and Vitamin A that works wonders for your skin. It helps in healing your acne scars and thus removing them.
How to use?
- Simply take a few slices of cucumber and lay them on the affected areas of your skin.
- Let them rest for 30 minutes and then remove them. Rinse your face with lukewarm water. Repeat this process daily to see the results.
It acts a great moisturizer for the skin and contains antibiotic and healing properties. Honey can helps in healing your acne scars by repairing the damaged skin, stimulating the regeneration of skin tissues and prevention from the accumulation of dead skin cells.
How to use?
- Apply honey on your scars and cover it with the help of bandage. Leave it overnight and rinse it with warm water the next morning. Repeat this daily before going to bed.
- You can also use honey with aspirin tablets. Crush 2-3 tablets of aspirin to form a powder and then mix it well with 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Apply this mixture on your acne scars and let it rest for 10-15 minutes. Now, wash it off with water and repeat this daily to notice visible results.
Potato is a rich source of minerals and vitamin which helps in repairing and healing your skin. It is an effective home remedy that helps to fade your acne scars and blemishes.
How to use?
- Take a potato, grate it and extract the juice from it. Apply this juice on the acne scars, leave it for 15-20 minutes and wash it off.
- Cut thick slices of potato and rub it on your acne scars for few minutes. Leave the juice for 10-15 minutes and then rinse it.